Record professional-looking self-filmed videos on your own, without being a videographer. Here’s how.
We are on year two of social distancing and the growing popularity of marketing videos (and videos in general…thanks, Tik Tok and Instagram Reels!). The overall importance of video within business marketing is increasing along with other visually centered marketing tactics. It is crucial for success and professionalism to create clips that do not look like they were recorded on your parents’ old VHS camcorder.
If you are too young to know what a VHS camcorder is 😬, this article taking you back into the museum of vintage camcorders may help you.
Now that we had a little history lesson…back to the main event.
Why Record Clips of Yourself?
You may hire a video production company, such as Steady State Media in Pittsburgh, to create overall marketing videos for your organization. However, since the COVID-19 pandemic and mask rules are still top-of-mind, it is sometimes easier (and safer) for clients if the filming takes place remotely. Then, clients can simply and safely send the clips along to the production company.
How Video Companies Use Self-Filmed Clips
Video production companies can use professional-looking self-filmed videos within bigger video projects. The steps below outline what this process looks like from both perspectives.
- Talent: Properly set-up a phone or mobile device. Use good lighting, angles, and camera quality when preparing your space. Check out the video below for specific lighting and cell phone angles to achieve the best video recordings.
- Production Company: A video production company often walks the talent through the recording. This meeting may take place via Zoom video call, FaceTime, Skpe, or Microsoft Teams. Keep in mind, this only happens if you are working with an outside video company.
- Talent: The person on camera answers questions prompted by the video company. Questions serve the overall theme of the video at hand.
- Talent: The talent sends the saved self-filmed video recordings to the video production company.
- Production Company: The self-filmed videos are used within larger, branded video projects and campaigns. These larger videos include the self-recorded snippets for a more personalized look and feel.
Examples of Professional-Looking Self-Recorded Videos
An example of self-filmed clips used within an overall marketing campaign can be seen within this marketing video created for Waldron Private Wealth that incorporates a mix of self-filmed clips as well as professional b-roll shots. Another example of how self-recorded videos can be helpful within your organization is within this video from Dobil Laboratories Inc. The goal for this particular video is to remind customers to stay strong during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Below, we put together a video filled with helpful tips in order to record a professional-looking video by yourself, without a full camera crew.