In the latest video podcast brought to you by Steady State Media, Pat and Kevin offer tips on finding and choosing the proper location for filming. When it comes to filming great video content, focusing on both audio and visuals within a location is extremely important.
Audio Environment Quick Tips for Filming
- Be sure to choose a spot with very little noise.
- Avoid high-trafficked areas. Not only can this be noisy, but it can be visually distracting.
- Try not to film near a street, or near train tracks.
Locations and Visual Surroundings
- Be sure there is adequate, natural-looking, non-harsh light in front of the on-screen talent. Do not put light source behind talent, for this makes the background appear to be too bright and blown out.
- Create depth behind on-camera talent. Do not place talent up against a wall.
- Utilize a clean, non-cluttered area. The less distractions there are, the better your video will be.
- Try to film in a repeatable location for video series. This way, the audience will feel familiar with the background and the series will appear more cohesive.
For videos of all kinds, there are particular locations that work best. We love this article on shooting video in specific locations. Here, you can learn which types of video tend to work best in particular settings.